Status of SB0986
Calls needed to District Representatives in the Illinois House
The Senate approved SB986 and it moves on to the House. Calls are needed to your district representative to vote NO on SB986. To find your Illinois Representative, click here and enter your address.
IVAC oppose SB986 for the following reasons:
1) no exemption for personal religious beliefs
2) no timeline for 2 doses of MMR
3) no information on tetanus-diphtheria–acellular pertussis (TdaP) in manufacturer’s package insert re possible harm to a pregnant woman or TdaP’s effect on reproduction capacity
4) no mention of adverse reactions, i..e., autism (“Adverse events reported during post=approval…”
5) no evaluation “for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potentials or impairment of fertility.”
6) the vial stopper “contains dry natural rubber that may cause allergic reactions in latex sensitive individuals.”
5) no response from Sen. Radagno after 2 phone calls to her legislative assistant.
An amendment no.2 has been added to SB0986 making it mandatory that a childcare worker receive a not only 2 MMR vaccines but also a Tdap vaccine. No provisions were made for exemption. The bill has been placed on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading for tomorrow, April 22. If objection is not made it will pass the Senate and move on to the House. Call your district Senator Wednesday morning.
Senate Bill 986 sponsored by Sen.Christine Radagno and co-sponsored by Sen. John Mulroe. (Sen Mulroe also is sponsor of SB1410 which makes it more cumbersome for Illinois parents to file a vaccine exemption for their school aged children.)
The bill has been placed on the calendar order of 2nd reading for April 14, 2015. The Springfield legislators are on spring break until then. The amended version that passed the Executive Committee on March 26, 2015 requires any person employed by a child care facility that cares for children 6 and under be vaccinated with 2 doses of MMR vaccine or show proof of immunity of MMR. The bill provides for no exemptions.
“M-M-R II has not been evaluated for carcinogenic, or mutagenic, potential to impair fertility.”
“Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with MM-R II.”
“It is also not known whether M-M-R II can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity.” MMR II Package Insert
Read MMR II Ingredients and Adverse Reactions